Residential Life Counseling

Residential life has its own clinical counselor specifically designed to serve on campus residents. Whether residents are experiencing symptoms of depression or anxiety, coping with grief and loss, having a difficult time adjusting to college life, or just need someone to talk to, the clinical counselor is available to students free of charge. In addition, live-in team regularly plan and implement educational programs that focus on mental health and wellbeing. There are a plethora of on campus, community, and online mental health resources available to sf state students.

Clinical Counseling Appointments

You can schedule an appointment with the residential life clinical counselor by calling (415) 405-4415. If it is an emergency, you should contact university police at (415) 338-2222 or get in touch with your RA or coordinator for assistance. The counselor is located in our housing office (attached to mary ward hall) and is available Monday through Thursday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.


If you are a student, staff, faculty or family members who is concerned about the mental health of a student living in residential life, consultation is available. You can call the residential life clinical counselor at (415) 405-4415 who can help problem solve and offer resources for the person of concern or the concerned person. Please note that the clinical counselor is bound by confidentiality and cannot disclose client information. 


The residential life clinical counselor also offers groups depending on resident demand. In fall 2017 a 4-week body positive discussion group was offered for people who are interested in exploring body image issues. The body positive discussion group was developed to help liberate people from self-hatred and instead value their beauty and identity while re-connecting with innate body wisdom for a more balanced, joyful relationship with their whole selves.

  • How we form our views about our bodies
  • How to embrace and love your body
  • Intuitive eating and exercise skills for a healthy you

If you are interested in this group please call karla castillo at (415) 405-4415 or email at

Find more information about our counseling services by visiting the pages below:

To learn more about counseling services offered at SF State visit their website.